Arrow Hill was built shortly before the beginning of the Civil War. Did you know it was a wheat plantation with slaves? Most of their neighbors were for the Union. When the son of the house was injured in a battle, he had to be hidden in the atticto avoid being taken by Union troops.
1860’s – The first place of Worship built in Morristown was the Southern Methodist Church, (First Methodist Church), it was used as a hospital for both North and South soldiers during the civil war.
May 31, 1870 the old Tate store was the meeting place for the formation Hamblen county.
1871 – 2 acres of land were secured for the court house. The court house building contract was signed December 1872 – completed November 1 1874 and cost $21,750
1885 – 807 W 2nd North Street was built for J.N.Hill, downtown merchant whose son in law was killed in the New Market train wreck.
1906 – Sidewalks put in on West 2nd North Street and parts of West 1st North Street.
1906 John Phillips Sousa Band played in Morristown – January 29,1906 – it was a matinee on the 3rd floor of the Susong Building – corner of east main and Cumberland – 900 people attended
1914 – The first Coca Cola Plant came to Morristown in 1914. The location was at the corner of Main and Pence street.
1923 – Morristown’s Theater Guild is the oldest community theater in Tennessee been around 86 seasons
1924 – The Morristown Area Chamber of Commerce was the first to be organized in the state. It was incorporated in 1924 and was known as the board of trade. It was located on Main Street in the Kingmyer Hotel.
1925 – Morristown’s first full-time library resided at the Woman’s Club House 1925-1959. (Before that it was housed in boxes at the homes of the ladies from Somo Sala Circle, ladies reading Circle, DAR and UDC.) In 1959 the library moved to the old telephone Company Building in Olde Towne at the corner of Henry and West 2nd North. The library moved to its new location in 1965.
1927 – Morristown’s first radio broadcast was in 1927 from the Sheeley (Carlisle) Music Store on Main Street.
1940 – WCRK is Morristown’s oldest radio station, set up in 1940.
1955 – Morristown was named the cleanest city in America
1977 – 2nd North Street was designated by City Council as a historic Area.
1999 –Historic Morristown Foundation buys and installs historic designation sign on the corner of West 2nd North Street and High Street.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Historic Morritown's Olde Towne.